Too many blogs = too much work = no life, and I'm busy as it is. This one, however is simply to serve a little side-project that I'm really into at the moment.
The Twitter community has these things, such as "follow friday" where you simply type #ff and a handful of account names of interesting people you follow. No reason or explanation needed, just #ff and the names is recommendation / explanation enough. The hashtag #ff is all you need to keep an eye out for. [ Open with Tweettabs ]
So this little side project "Mixtape Mondays" (which name i've borrowed from a seemingly unrelated hashtag) and the #mixtapemonday is gaining momentum.
As with a previous post here, I'm enjoying the challenge of putting together mixtapes that for lack of a better explanation, a "hot topic". It could be an international event, a holiday or observation, hollywood scandal or something else. 60 minutes (true to 80's mixtapes) of music, on topic.
- I'll usually find a topic and start creating a list of songs. After chipping away at the list for a couple of days, I'll usually come up with enough music to fill 60 mins.
- I'll then organise the order of songs, and bounce them down to one long mp3 file (and more recently, create an iPod friendly m4a copy - which comes to around 20% the size of the mp3), I then add the ID3 tags on both formats.
- Once that's done, I'll write up a new post with blurb for the Mixtape, and set it to future-post on the coming Monday.
- The mp3 / m4a files are usually uploaded to Mediafire by Friday and they are linked to the blog set to go.
- I then future-post a "tease" and "link" to Twitter and Facebook using HootSuite for release at 6am, 12pm and 6pm on the Monday, and then I start brainstorming the next Mixtape/s.
- Finally, bring beans to the boil, and place on a bed of fluffy cous-cous. Serves: 6 | Wine: Shiraz*
They're gaining in numbers at http://richardphelps.posterous.com/
*Yes, step 6 is unrelated ...for those playing at home....