November 7, 2005

iPod alternatives

I was scanning my morning blogs when I read:

Five Reasons why I won't buy an ipod:

1. Three Letters - D.R.M. I want to be able to listen to all my mp3s in all the devices I have. No tricky copy-protection shit.

2. Anti-establishment. Ipod is very establishment.

3. Absence of features. Sure an Ipod video is cool. That is if you like watching videos in such a small screen. No FM radio. No recording whatsoever meaning no bootlegging.

4. Price. For a few less moolah, i can get a players with more features.

5. Drag and drop. I just want to be able to drag and drop files into it. No itunes shit.


Let's take a look at number 4, to show you that yes, iPods are popular, given the amount of advertising given to them. I feel that if you aren't aware of the alternatives, things like DRM will become standard and 'part of the deal'.

Cowon Systems
:
Highly Recommended

iAudio X5 (pic on right). I'm gonna go buy one of these puppies! Check the feature list - includes BBE bass, which any studio engineer will know is a delicious addition!

Creative has a tidy little unit too. The muVo (on left) will store 500 Songs, 8 Hours Video, Up to 999 Photos. Not good for voice recording, but has an FM tuner like the iAudio, unlike the iPod.

No comments: